Saturday, May 28, 2011

Several years ago when Tyler and I were headed to Ireland, I decided to see if I had an Irish ancestors. Robert McKendrick was born in Ireland and was buried in the Tooele cemetery, a short 10 miles from my house. So we set out one Friday evening to see if we could locate the graves.


As I was looking up plot numbers online, I came across another cemetery named Tooele's First Cemetery. Only 37 people are still buried there, including an infant son of Robert Kennedy and Agnes McGavin McKendrick.

This is the inscription on the Daughter of Utah Pioneers monument at the Tooele First Cemetery: As no plots were sold, families were required to dig the grave and use the next burial space. Several bodies were moved to the new cemetery.

Another find, another family, same Tooele City Cemetery, same row in the cemetery: PHILIP DELAMARE and MARIE CHEVALIER (another great-great-great grandpa).


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing!! That is awesome to see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Missy. Since we never made it out there and were so close. I really appreciate seeing the markers. Now that I've made it through graduation and a new life lays before me it gives me a genelogy bug to move in that direction. It was great to see the history. Love, Aunt Cherisse

    ReplyDelete